Quantum Technology Funding trends
- Despite a slight decrease in fundraising compared to the previous year, with an estimated $2.2 billion invested in quantum in 2022, the private quantum company market has proven relatively more resilient to funding shortfalls in other tech sectors.
- The quantum technology industry still represents only a small fraction of total VC funding, and North America remains the most concentrated market for quantum start-ups, although diversification is increasing. Software emerged as the leading quantum subsegment, driven partly by the nine-figure financing of SandboxAQ.
- The most active European markets from a private capital perspective include the UK, France, Finland and Germany. In APAC, there has been a number of large investments in the region in 2022 as interest in quantum technology and the number of emerging players continue to grow.
- Over 70 funding rounds were announced for existing quantum start-ups, and more than 40 new quantum tech companies were founded in 2022.
- Quantum research notched significant advances in quantum research, and a quantum researcher was recognized by both a Breakthrough Prize and the Nobel Prize.
- In a recent TQI poll, 66% (n=230) reported they believed that private investment into quantum technology companies in 2023 will surpass 2022 with only a 21% concerned we will see a decline.